Millmount Museum and Martello Tower are situated on high ground in the heart of Drogheda near to where the river Boyne. Shortly after the Anglo-Norman King Henry II granted him the Kingdom of Meath in 1172, Hugh de Lacy constructed a motte and bailey on a huge mound overlooking the River Boyne. A more substantial stone fort replaced the earlier structure. According to Irish mythology, the mound was the burial place of Amergin mac Míled, druid, bard and judge of the Milesians. Amergin was the son of Míl Espáine and brother of éremón (see Myths & Legends, p. 52). The true origin of the mound is unclear, however, it is thought that it may be a large passage tomb, similar to those at nearby Brú na Bóinne.
This castle formed part of the defences of the town during Cromwell's siege of Drogheda in 1649. The garrison was massacred when they surrendered to Parliamentarian troops on September 11th, 1649. In the early 1800s the earlier Fortifications were demolised and replaced by a Martello Tower as part of a series of defences erected along the Irish coast by the British in expectation of an invasion by Napoleon Bonaparte. Millmount Museum houses various exhibitions dealing with archaeology, folklife, local history, geology, industry and military history. The museum also contains one of the four surviving examples of an ancient type of fishing vessel, called a coracle, that were once a common sight on the Boyne. Coracles were made of wicker and covered with animal hide, or more recently with canvas. It was almost operated by two people – one paddling at the bow, the other manning the nets.
Millmount Cultural Quarter offers a wide ranging experience including the museum, martello tower and an array of craft shops, artists' studios and a café.
Tickets available at reception.
- 9:30 - 17:30
- (Last trip to the Tower is at 16:30)
Exhibition Rooms on:
- Guild and Trade Banners
- Industrial Exhibition
- Folk Kitchen
- Millmount Fort - Military Exhibition
- Archaeological Exhibition
- Geological Exhibition
- Post Office Exhibition
- Drogheda Rowing Club Exhibition
Listen to some wonderful audio on Drogheda - part of the Boyne Valley drive
The fort at Millmount was considerably damaged during the Irish Civil War (1922-23) when it was occupied by Anti-Treaty forces and was shelled for several hours by the Irish Free State Army. It was restored by Drogheda Corporation and opened to the public in 2000.
Please note last tour is 60 minutes before closing.
Exhibitions & Events
Regular exhibitions & events take place, visit www.millmount.net for more details or visit our events section.
Craft Studios on site
- Ceramic Art
- Hand Painted Silks
- Irish Designer Knitwear
- Jewellery Design Studio
- Patchwork & Applique
Millmount Museum, Millmount Complex,Drogheda,Co. Louth
F: +353 (0)41 9841599
Getting here - Drogheda Museum Millmount is located in the centre of Drogheda town on the south of the river Boyne. Buses and cars should turn into of the Dublin Road onto Mary Street at the Memorial, facing the new Scotch Hall Shopping Centre, and drive to the top of the hill. Turn right into Duleek Street and follow the road turning left into the Millmount Complex.
On foot from the Train Station follow the same route as above. From the Bus Station, Town Centre of tourist Office eirther take the steps to the right of Ollies Public House or walk up Barrack Lane to the Millmount Complex which is directly across the road from the Millmount Public House. Visitor Information
9:30 - 17:30
(Last trip to the Tower is at 16:30)
Museum and Tower
Child / Student / OAP: €3.00